April 24, 2020 2:16 pm
S.O.U.L Sisters Leadership Collective
Securing the Safety of Girls of Color During COVID-19
Although sheltering-in-place is supposed to keep us safer, many of our girls* of color are anything but safe. In the last five weeks, girls in our programs have reported increases in violence at home, in the street and online. Reports of revenge porn online, physical beatings, attempted rapes and verbal abuse have been all too common. Girls are reporting increases in depression, anxiety, traumatic stress, suicidal thoughts, and yes, even suicide among girls they know.
This is a crisis.
Our girls deserve better. Now more than ever, we need adult allies, caregivers and advocates to stand for our girls’ safety and well-being.
We are offering the following as Guidelines for Securing Girls of Color:
- Call, text or DM each and every girl of color in your life – empathically and non-judgmentally listen to her [only offer advice if she/they consent!]
- Check out our presentation about Digital Abuse and share it with girls, caregivers, allies & advocates
- Encourage girls to be in community with each other! Join one of our Virtual Vibes sessions (information below)
- Parents & caregivers, feeling lost? Listen to Parenting for Liberation’s Podcast profiling one parent’s story on fighting to end gender-based violence
- Share resources with the girls of color in your life about therapy, meditation videos, meditation apps, emotional assistance app, yoga & other healing resources – most of these resources are for & by people of color & FREE
- Share information about 24/7 hotlines and text lines such as:
- Suicide Prevention Lifeline Phone: 1-800-273-TALK
- Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
- Love is Respect – for chat, text or talk
- Encourage girls to share these resources with a friend or post them to their social media
- Report harms and abuse to local agencies you trust to support girls’ best interests.
Contact us for more resources: email@example.com